Saturday 12 February 2011

Red Herring!

Today I experienced my first blank session of 2011!

Reports of herring arriving on Brighton Marina midweek saw me drive down to Sussex in search of a new species. I decided to put all my eggs in one basket and travel light intending to rove around the East Arm "feathering" for a herring without the distraction of a second rod. My feathers were mini sabikkis.

On arrival the sea was coloured up and the wind strengthening,  I knew I was up against it as the herring would move offshore in these conditions. The East Arm was packed which meant that roving was not an option. Several hours later I packed up fish-less knowing that I would have caught a few flatties, rockling and whiting if I had put out a second rod on the bottom. If the sea clears out in the next couple of weeks I will be back!

Incidentally pike anglers might be interested to know that red herrings really work, they take on colour really well using the powdered food dyes that the carp boys use when making boilies!