5 facts about bleak!
1. Guanine was extracted from the silvery scales of bleak and used in the making of artificial pearls.
2. Bleak lives in large schools, usually near the surface.
3. Tommy Pickering used to be called the bionic bleaker in his early match fishing days.
4. The British record bleak weighed 4 oz 9 drms and was caught by Dennis Flack, River Lark, Cambridgeshire in 1998.
5. This evening I caught loads of bleak from the River Lark whilst trying to locate a bitterling for the species hunt. The bleak brings my species total up to 34 for the year to date.